An Oreo lover’s dream! Delicious layers of Oreo flavoured cake and buttercream with chopped up Oreos for some crunch.
Hello Oreo lovers! Do I have your attention? Good, because I’m pretty sure this cake is for you.
As you know, Ryan tends to be my go-to guy for ideas when I’m stuck on something to bake. Naturally, he gravitates to things that he already loves and asks me to turn them into cakes. Hence the Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cake, the S’mores Cake, and the Turtles Cake. His most recent request was this Oreo Cake!
My arm didn’t need much twisting, since I am also a big fan of Oreos, though truthfully I prefer Golden Oreos to the original. Something about that vanilla cookie flavour goes SO well with the Oreo filling. So look for those to be used in a dessert in the future.
This cake is packed with Oreo flavour. There are Oreo cookie crumbs in the cake layers and frosting, as well as chopped up Oreos sprinkled between each layer for some crunch.
The cake has a rich not-too-sweet chocolate flavour and pairs well with the sweet Oreo buttercream. You’ll be eating that buttercream with a spoon, I guarantee it!
Six layers of pure heaven right here. This cake did not last long!
This cake did not disappoint. If you have an Oreo lover in your life, or if you are one yourself, this Oreo cake is one you’ll want to add to your list! Your favourite cookie transformed into a delicious layer cake!
Notes & tips for this Oreo Cake:
- To enhance the chocolate flavour of the cake, use strong hot coffee instead of hot water.
- The cake layers are easiest to frost when they are chilled as they are a bit firmer and help the buttercream set quicker.
- You can do this as a 3 layer cake instead, but you will have some buttercream left over.
- To help ensure your cake layers bake up nice and flat, see my Flat Top Cakes post.
Oreo Layer Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Oreo cookie crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 Tbsp Dutch-processed cocoa powder sifted
- 6 Tbsp black cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup hot strong brewed coffee or hot water
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 10 Double-Stuffed Oreos chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F, grease three 6" round baking pans and dust with cocoa powder. Line bottoms with parchment.
- Place all dry ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl whisk all wet ingredients (pour coffee in slowly as not to cook the eggs if very hot).
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix on medium for 2-3 mins. Batter will be very thin.
- Pour evenly into prepared pans. I used a kitchen scale to ensure the batter is evenly distributed.
- Bake until a cake tester comes out mostly clean. A total of 30-35mins.
- Cool 10minutes in the pans then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, cut each layer in half horizontally to get 6 layers.
- Place egg whites and sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk until combined.*
- Place bowl over a hot water bath on the stove and whisk constantly until the mixture is no longer grainy to the touch (approx. 3mins).
- Place bowl on your stand mixer and whisk on med-high until the meringue is stiff and cooled (the bowl is no longer warm to the touch (approx. 5-10mins)).
- Switch to paddle attachment. Slowly add cubed butter and mix until smooth.
- Add vanilla and Oreo cookie crumbs. Whip until smooth.**
- Place one layer of cake on a cake stand or serving dish. Top with about 2/3 cup buttercream and sprinkle with chopped Oreos. Repeat with remaining layers. Frost and smooth the outside. Add additional Oreo cookie crumbs along the bottom and top if desired.
** The buttercream may look like it's curdled at some point. Keep mixing until it is completely smooth.