The best of both worlds! These brownie cookies are your favourite chewy chocolate brownies in cookie form!
I love to eat a good brownie. Sadly, I have yet to make a good brownie. For some reason all of my brownie efforts end in disaster — usually way too thick, and almost always over-baked. Brownies are not difficult to make, but for some reason I struggle with it. It’s incredibly annoying. So, when I came across this recipe for Brownie Cookies, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to bring my brownie curse to an end…
Not wanting to mess with things too much due to my brownie issues, I decided to follow the recipe and directions exactly (which I almost never do). This way, surely the cookies would turn out just as perfect as they did in the magazine pictures, right?? Wrong.
The first batch of these guys did not turn out well (understatement). The batter was REALLY thin. I mean, it was basically brownie batter (aka cake batter), and not at all solid like cookie dough. So when the recipe said to “shape the batter into balls” I knew I’d royally effed up another brownie recipe. Again!
I re-read the recipe and directions and had followed everything correctly, so I’m not sure what went wrong there. Against my better judgement, I scooped up some
dough batter into my cookie scoop and placed poured it onto the baking sheet.
Sure enough, it spread out and baked up flatter than a pancake. Thankfully I had enough foresight to only bake ONE test cookie.
I popped the batter into the fridge to chill/set a bit. I always do this with cookie dough, but never with cake batter, so I wasn’t sure what the result would be. The second batch of these Brownie Cookies was better, but still not up to my standards.
Back into the fridge with the batter. That little extra time in the fridge (less than 20mins total — I was impatient) was what the cookies needed to hold their shape better. The batter still basically poured out onto the baking sheet, but it was a bit more firm and therefore didn’t spread as much.
I am happy to report that these Brownie Cookies taste exactly like brownies. They’re chewy, fudgy, and melt-in-your-mouth delicious. If you don’t have a square pan to make regular brownies, or are looking to try something a little bit different, this recipe is for you!
Notes & tips for this Brownie Cookies Recipe:
- Chilling the dough is critical, but you don’t want to chill it too long as it will be hard to scoop. Chill it just enough that it thickens but is still thinner than normal cookie dough.
- For best flavour and texture, use good quality dark chocolate for these cookies (not Baker’s chocolate).
- These would work great for homemade ice cream sandwiches!
- Melt chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pot with simmering water or in the microwave. Cool to room temperature (approx 15 mins).
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar and eggs. Add to chocolate and mix until well combined. Add flour and baking powder and mix until combined.
- Chill in the fridge for approx. 20-30mins, until batter is slightly thickened.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment or silicone mats.
- Using a medium cookie scoop (1 1/2 Tbsp), scoop batter onto cookie sheet and place 6 to a sheet. Batter will be fairly thin.
- Bake for approximately 11 mins, until cookies are cooked on the edges but still soft in the center. Cool completely on baking sheets.