The best of both worlds with these Birthday Cake Cookies! Vanilla cake flavored cookies speckled with rainbow sprinkles and white chocolate chips.
I can’t believe it’s been almost 6 months since I posted a cookie recipe. Craziness. Admittedly, cookies aren’t my favorite thing to make. This is Liv for Cake, after all. But in an effort to add a little variety (and for something a little less time consuming), I bring you these bright and cheery Birthday Cake Cookies!
In typical Olivia fashion, I totally screwed up the measurements. Even when I double check, I often still make mistakes no matter how thorough I think I’m being. But, really, it’s probably because I’m rushing through it.
I wanted to use my favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie as a base for this, but I only wanted to make half the recipe. Easy enough, right? Except that I also needed to add cake mix into the equation, and that’s where things got all messed up.
In my changing and adding and halving, I measured out twice as much flour and cake mix as I needed. Naturally, I didn’t realize this until after I dumped the whole flour mixture into the mixer bowl that contained my butter and sugars. SIGH.
I am not a fan of doing things twice. Especially things that are supposed to work the first time. Having to redo because of a stupid error is the worst thing ever.
Note to self: sanity check measurements 3x.
Thankfully, cookies are easy to make and it takes no time to whip up a batch, so things worked out much better the second time around. These Birthday Cake Cookies taste just like a vanilla birthday cake without all the effort. Perfect for birthday parties, and easy to give as gifts!
Birthday Cake Cookies
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, cake mix, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugars on medium until pale and fluffy (2-3mins). Add egg and vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- Add flour mixture all at once and mix until just incorporated. Fold in sprinkles and white chocolate chips.
- Chill dough at least 1 hour up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment or silicone mats.
- Portion dough using a medium cookie scoop (1 1/2 Tbsp) and place 10 cookies per sheet.
- Bake one sheet at a time until cookies are golden on the edges but still soft in the middle (approx. 10-15mins).
- Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.