This Cookie Butter Cake pairs fluffy vanilla cake with a sweet cookie butter frosting and crushed speculoos cookies for some added crunch.
This post has been sponsored by Penotti. The content and opinions expressed here are my own.
I still remember the first time I tried cookie butter. My friend brought me a jar from the US since it wasn’t available in Canada at the time, or at least not where I live. I didn’t know what it was exactly, but I had heard people raving about it and I was dying to try it. It is pure cookie heaven. If you haven’t tried it, I suggest you get your hands on some asap. You are missing out!!
The lovely folks over at Penotti sent me a few jars of their products to try out and experiment with. Cookie Notti spread is made with the original Belgian Speculoos cookies. Speculoos (or Biscoff) cookies have a unique flavour that is hard to describe — spiced, crisp, gingersnap-like cookies. They are delicious dunked in tea, and even better in the form of a spread!
Penotti has been around since the 1970’s and really cares about high quality ingredients in their spreads — fresh hazelnuts, milk, and cocoa that are all sustainably sourced. You can find Penotti products in various grocery stores across Canada including Loblaws, Sobeys, Metro, Thrifty Foods, Shoppers Drug Mart, London Drugs, Buy Low Market, H.Y. Louie, Co-Op, Walmart, and Whole Foods.
The Cookie Butter Cake I bring you today uses both Smooth Cookie Notti and Crunchy Cookie Notti spreads. I used the smooth spread in the buttercream, and the crunchy spread on top of each cake layer. I chose to pair the Cookie Notti Buttercream with a simple vanilla cake so that the flavour of the spread would stand out. Using the Crunchy Cookie Notti is optional, but I like the extra flavour and texture it gives the cake.
This Cookie Butter Cake is all sorts of amazing. If you’ve had cookie butter before, you know what I’m talking about, and if you haven’t, you need to try it.
Notes & tips for this Cookie Butter Cake:
- If you don’t have Crunchy Cookie Notti, you can use smooth on each layer or just leave it out.
- Alternatively, you can use crushed cookies on top of the frosting for some crunch.
- The cake layers can be baked ahead of time and stored, tightly wrapped in plastic wrap for a day on the counter or for up to 2 months in the freezer.
- To help ensure your cake layers bake up nice and flat, see my Flat Top Cakes post.
Cookie Butter Cake
Cookie Notti Buttercream:
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter room temperature, cubed
- 1/2 cup Penotti Smooth Cookie Notti Spread
- Penotti Crunchy Cookie Notti Spread
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease and flour three 6" cake rounds, line with parchment.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until smooth. Add sugar and beat on med-high until pale and fluffy (2-3mins).
- Reduce speed and add eggs one at a time, fully incorporating after each addition. Add vanilla.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour (3 additions of flour and 2 of buttermilk). Fully incorporating after each addition. Do not overmix.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pans. Smooth the tops with a spatula.
- Bake for approx. 25-30mins or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean.
- Place cakes on wire rack to cool for 10mins then turn out onto wire rack.
Cookie Notti Buttercream:
- Place egg whites and sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk until combined.*
- Place bowl over a hot water bath on the stove and whisk constantly until the mixture is hot and no longer grainy to the touch (approx. 3mins).
- Place bowl on your stand mixer and whisk on med-high until the meringue is stiff and cooled (the bowl is no longer warm to the touch (approx. 5-10mins)).
- Switch to paddle attachment. Slowly add cubed butter and mix until smooth. Add Cookie Notti spread and mix until smooth.**
- Place one layer of cake on a cake stand or serving plate. Spread a thin layer of Crunchy Cookie Notti on the cake. Top with 2/3 cup of frosting and spread evenly. Repeat with remaining layers and apply a thin coat of frosting all over the cake. Chill for 20mins.
- Frost and smooth the sides. Decorate with rosettes and crushed Speculoos cookies if desired.
* Ensure there is NO trace of egg yolks in your whites and that your mixer bowl and whisk is completely grease free or your meringue won't stiffen.
** The buttercream may look like it's curdled at some point. Keep mixing until it is completely smooth.
Penotti products can be found in various grocery stores across Canada including Loblaws, Sobeys, Metro, Thrifty Foods, Shoppers Drug Mart, London Drugs, Buy Low Market, H.Y. Louie, Co-Op, Walmart and Whole Foods.
Recipes You May Like
The nutritional information and metric conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this data. If this important to you, please verify with your favourite nutrition calculator and/or metric conversion tool.