The classic combination of lemon poppy seed in this delicious bundt.
I actually can’t believe it’s already been a month since the last #BundtBakers challenge. It seems to have come up so fast, but maybe that’s only because this is my 3rd (!!) bundt this month, which is a little crazy. I wonder if people are getting sick of the bundts. Is that even possible?? I didn’t think so.
This month’s Bundt Bakers theme, Lemon, was chosen by Anne at From My Sweet Heart. I love lemon desserts. Maybe even more than chocolate. Lemon tarts, lemon meringue pie, lemon bars, lemon loaves… I’m drooling as I type this. So I was super excited for a Lemon theme this month, even though I’d made a Meyer Lemon Bundt a few months ago. This month, I got to test out a new recipe and a new bundt pan.
I scored this Blossom bundt for $25 at Homesense a couple months ago, but haven’t had a good opportunity to use it. To be honest, it’s not my favorite pan, but I could not pass up a $25 deal (they’re usually about $50 in Canada). This lemon poppy seed bundt seemed like the perfect excuse to try it out.
I modified the recipe from my Meyer Lemon Bundt cake for this, and it turned out great.
Contrary to what the photos show, there are no blackberries in this bundt. They were just used as a pretty garnish, and I think they compliment the cake perfectly.
A sugar dusting was all this pretty cake needed, but you could totally do a glaze instead if you prefer.
Pretty flecks of poppy seeds and lemon zest. Super moist and fluffy, with just the perfect amount of density.
Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/8 cup lemon zest approx. 3 lemons
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream room tepmerature
- 1/4 cup lemon juice approx. 2 lemons
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 10-12 cup Bundt pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and poppy seeds until well combined.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until smooth.
- Add sugar and beat on med-high until pale and fluffy (2-3mins).
- Reduce speed and add eggs one at a time, fully incorporating after each addition.
- Add vanilla, sour cream, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Beat well to combine.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with flour (3 additions of flour and 2 of milk). Fully incorporating after each addition. Do not overmix.
- Add some batter into your prepared pan and press it into the cracks of the bundt pan with a small spatula. Add remaining batter until pan is no more than 3/4 full. Smooth the top with a spatula and whack the pan against the counter to evenly distribute.
- Bake for 50mins or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean.
- Place cake on wire rack to cool for 10mins. Whack the pan on the counter to loosen the cake and turn out onto wire rack.
- Cool completely before dusting with powdered sugar.