I followed the recipe on the Rice Krispies box, but instead of putting them into a rectangular pan, I figured I’d make it easier on myself and put them into a couple of dishes that could pass as the top and bottom of the mushroom. Ryan happened to have a little metal 1UP mushroom which I used as a guide. This was extremely helpful in getting the proportions accurate. Here is the carved result:
The carving was surprisingly easy and went much better than I expected. For the Question Block I used a square dish as a mold and then carved the sides straight and square. Once the carving was complete, I covered everything in buttercream icing, colored the fondant to match the traditional Mario colors, and covered the pieces with the fondant.
I’m really happy with the way this turned out! I think the colors are great, and the lines are pretty clean. It was a bit challenging to cover the top of the mushroom with fondant, as I had to wrap it over the bottom too. It was a bit of a balancing act, trying to cover and smooth the bottom while not squishing and smudging the already covered top. Needless to say, the white dots covered up some visible mistakes :).
Here’s a shot of my messy kitchen counter just after completing the mushroom. Note the *tiny* amount of counter space I have to work with :*(. The mushroom carving is sitting on a styrofoam dummy I bought, intending to practice covering it with fondant. This is the first time it’s been ‘used’ so that I could see the proportion of the mushroom & block to the cake I was going to make.
Also note the numerous printouts of Mario reference. These came in super handy!
See the final Mario Cake here!
The nutritional information and metric conversions are calculated automatically. I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this data. If this important to you, please verify with your favourite nutrition calculator and/or metric conversion tool.